nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:41:01 +0200

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>  > * Add a compile-time or run-time option to use bold where now
>  > inverse video is used, as inverse video is difficult to read
>  > on a Konsole with a light background.
>
> Done in CVS.  You can use the -D/--boldtext command line option
> or the "boldtext" rcfile option to do this.

Thanks very much.  That was quick.  :)

>  > * Don't call the help texts "help menu", as they aren't menus:
>  > nothing can be selected in them.
>
> I'll look into this too.  Would "help browser" be a better term?

Not quite: "browser" connotes being able to move around, move to
different screens or folders, like in the file browser.  But in the
help texts all one can do is scroll up and down.  Instead of
"Invoke the help menu" maybe use "Display this help text"?

>  > * After a ^W, use ^K instead of ^X as an extra key for
>  > CutTillEnd.  At other places in nano ^X means close and save,
>  > here it suddenly becomes destructive.
>
> Unfortunately, ^K is already used to cut text at the statusbar
> prompt itself.  I've looked into the unused control-key
> shortcuts, and the only one using a letter (which I would prefer
> to use) that's unused is ^J.

I don't see a problem in re-using ^K, as some other keys get a new
meaning too after a ^W.  Just like in this mode ^Y and ^V take
bigger strides, it seems logical to me that ^K should take bigger
cuts.  Another advantage is: the user already knows how to undo a
^K, not a ^X.

> ^X was what the original patch for
> Pico used, in any case, and if it ever gets in officially, it may
> still use that keystroke.

Okay, yes, if they use it, then there's no choice.

Benno