nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Using nano as your crontab editor

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Using nano as your crontab editor
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:02:01 +0200

Hi David,

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:24:19PM -0400, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> The error message itself is normal, since you can't write a backup to
> /var/spool/cron/whatever if you're not root.  The garbled filename is
> due to trying to display the string backupname in the error message
> after it's been freed.  The attached patch should fix it.  It's against
> CVS, but applies cleanly to 1.3.11 as well, and applies to 1.3.10 with
> only a 3-line offset.

Thanks for the patch.
Regarding the behaviour, I think we need to consider, afaict editing a
crontab with that option enabled isn't possible, as you just can't save
it.

Shouldn't nano give up on saving a backup file if the directory where it
needs to be written is not writable? This should only happen in special
cases like crontab, where you use a suid binary to edit in a restricted
area.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/