nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: sample Python regexes, revisited

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: sample Python regexes, revisited
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>  >> In the meantime, I'll try to help you get Alt-Space working.
>  >
>  > Very good.
>
> <snip>
>
>  >
>  > Does anyone else have the Alt-Space problem?
>
> I think I know what the problem is.  See below.
>
> <snip>
>
>  >>> - nano doesn't have an undo.
>  >> The rewrite will have this.
>  >
>  > Very good.
>
> Be warned, though: the rewrite will take a while to get all of nano
> 1.4's features, much less stabilize on its own.  See these threads in
> the mailing list archives for more info:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2005-12/msg00003.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2006-01/msg00014.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2006-02/msg00007.html
>
> <snip>

Thanks for the links.

>  >> but some terminals can't tell the difference between an arrow key and
>  >> Ctrl-[arrow key].
>  >
>  > Gah!
>
> "Gah" indeed.  And that's not even the worst of it.  See below.
>
> <snip>
>

>  >> to the "Selecting/Cutting/Copying/Pasting" section, you might want to
>  >> change the "search/replace" key entry to "Ctrl-\ (or Alt-r)" in the
>  >> "Searching" section,
>  >
>  > As an aside, I'm not too fond of using *both* the Ctrl key and the
>  > Alt key for various commands. [snip]
>
> The problem is in the other limitation of text mode, namely, there are
> only 33 control characters [snip]

Thanks for the analysis David. I see what you mean. If I want
a full-function text-mode editor, I'd better get used to that
Alt key. :)

[back to the Alt-Space back-by-word problem...]

>  >> and if/when we can work out your Alt-Space problem,
>  >> you might want to mention the solution to it there.
>  >
>  > Sure. Although I'm not using nano for anything at the moment, I've
>  > re-subscribed to this list for now, so if you come up with a solution,
>  > just post about it and I'll update my page.
>
>  From what I've been able to find out (I don't use icewm), it appears
> that icewm overrides that particular key to show the window menu.
> According to
>
> http://users.tkk.fi/~tkarvine/linux/doc/icewm/preferences
>
> , the icewm preferences file should have a line like
>
> KeyWinMenu="Alt+Space"
>
> in it, which will need to be changed if you want to use Alt-Space for
> something else.

Nice find!

I looked in my .icewm directory, and there was no preferences file
present. So, I copied the one from /etc/X11/icewm to my ~/.icewm
directory, and uncommented the KeyWinMenu line, changing it like so:

KeyWinMenu="Alt+Shift+Space"

Logged out of X and logged back in, and ... (after Ctrl-left_click'ing
in my xterm window to select either "Alt Sends Escape" or
"Meta Sends Escape" (both work))... Alt-Space in nano now works!

Thanks. :) I updated my little nano page.
http://www.simisen.com/jmg/nano.html

> [snip]
> As for finding the previous search, if you're pressing Ctrl-W again, why
> don't you just press Alt-B to toggle backwards searching before you
> press Enter again?

Hm. I've got nano v1.3.10 here, and Alt-B doesn't toggle backwards
searching. Instead, it seems to toggle whether or not nano automatically
makes backup~ files~. I don't see anything about reversing the search
direction in the online help. I *do* see, in the .nanorc file, that
there's a "set backwards" option though...

---John