nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ready for testing: nano 1.3.8pre1

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ready for testing: nano 1.3.8pre1
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:56:48 -0400

Mike Frysinger wrote:

<snip>

>the skip-word feature seems to be somewhat broken ... for example,
>type: one "two|three|four"
>
>in 1.3.7, if you use ctrl+space and alt+space, you'll skip from 'one'
>to 'two' to 'three' to 'four' ... in 1.3.8-pre1, you'll skip from 'one'
>to the first " and that's it :(

That's supposed to be a feature; the word-skipping code now takes
punctuation into account, so that using it to move past a word like
"don't" won't treat the "t" as a separate word.

I know that Pico doesn't do this, but I figured that nano should be a
bit smarter about it.  The word count feature acts this way because its
totals then seem to match those of "wc -w", and I figured that word
skipping and word counting should both have the same idea of what
constitutes a word.  Note that the internal spell checker still treats
words the same way it did before, since the punctuation issues should be
handled by spell.

Is this new behavior really a problem?  If so, it's easy to change back
(although I'd prefer to leave word count the way it is, because the
whole reason I added it was to save all the trouble of having to suspend
nano, run "wc -w" on the current file, mentally jot down the number, and
then continue nano).