nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates (mostly bugfixes)

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates (mostly bugfixes)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:55:56 +0200

Hi people,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:59:10PM +0200, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Aside from the changes mentioned on the list, I've added the following
> things to CVS, mostly bugfixes for the new code in 1.3.6.  Everything
> appears to be holding now, so if there aren't any major problems with
> CVS, I'd like to get 1.3.7 out in a few days, in the interest of having
> a relatively stable version of nano with UTF-8 support.

Ok, this is great. While 1.3.6 appears to be quite good, the first
comment our Chinese translator made about this version was that topwin
was fucked. I see there are a few more utf-8 related fixes below, so
releasing 1.3.7 is good so distros like Gentoo which are using 1.3 can
have a more-stable-than-usual 1.3 release to play with.

I will upload 1.3 to unstable as soon as Debian Sarge freezes. This
apparently is going to happen RSN (famous last words, but anyway)...

> * in help_init(), multibyte characters are properly calculated in
> allocsize, overly long help strings have been split (at sentence
> boundaries) to avoid the -pedantic warning about ISO C89 compilers' not
> being required to support strings of over 509 bytes, and there have been
> several wording fixes (mostly, some instances of "hit Enter" have been
> replaced with "press Enter" for consistency)

Ok, I don't know who's more pedantic... gcc or you :)
While  this kind of change is not-so-nice for translators (it's
difficult to find differences of just a character or one word in long
texts like these), this time it's cool because it means splitting the
help texts further, which makes it easier for us in the long term.

I think I might go ahead and do the FAQ.html -> FAQ.xml conversion this
weekend or more probably next week. I hate seeing that TODO item for
such a long time in the list, more when it was my proposal... :) After
that, there would be searching for filenames in the file browser.

I don't know how close or far away you guys think we are from
1.3.99pre1, but I think this is looking good. I would surely be happy
with postponing that feature if needed...

The other day I noticed nano 1.2 has been the stable branch for over 2
years, and we only needed 4 point releases and a half (CVS could well be
1.2.5 now...), that says a lot of how much you guys rock. :)

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/