nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] useless include ?

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] useless include ?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:31:05 +0200

--- Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Monday 30 August 2004 12:08 pm, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
>> If I understand it correctly, it's there so that the --includedir
>> option of the configure script will be used.  It's /usr/local/include
>> by default, but e.g. "./configure --includedir=/some/directory" will
>> set the include path to /some/directory/include.
>
>the --includedir configure option is supposed to be for install/runtime
>control, not for additional include paths at build time

Okay; obviously I didn't quite understand it correctly.  I tried
compiling nano after removing the @includedir@ option from
src/Makefile.am, and it seemed to build just fine, but I wanted to be
sure that I wasn't removing something that should have been there.  So I
guess that it can be safely removed then?

By the way, by install/runtime control, do you mean that it's supposed
to be used for e.g. libraries that install their own header files?  If
so, then it really needs to be removed, since nano certainly isn't one
of those.

>that really should be set by export CFLAGS before running ./configure,
>or what ive seen with a few autotool based projects is a parameter
>specifically for adding include paths

Exporting CFLAGS should definitely work.  "./configure --help" also says
that you can do it by exporting CPPFLAGS.  As for adding a parameter
specifically for adding include paths, that seems like overkill to me
because it's only really needed to get access to the main include files.