nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 1.3 branch opened in CVS

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 1.3 branch opened in CVS
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:18:49 +0200

Hi!

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:05:30PM -0400, Chris Allegretta wrote:
>       Following the release of GNU nano 1.2.2, the 1.3 tree was
> officially opened.  For those of you with cvs access, as of your next
> 'cvs update' you will be in the 1.3 development tree (the version number
> should be '1.2.99-cvs').  If you wish to keep in sync with the 1.2
> 'stable' tree, run 'cvs update -r nano_1_2_branch' (the version number
> should be 1.2.2-cvs').

Whee! Once again, I must congratulate all of you for the successful 1.2
release. We've only needed 2 bugfix releases, and all the issues were
really minor. It really sounds like a Samba stable release :)

>       Your maintainer for the 1.3 tree will be David Lawrence Ramsey,
> and I will be maintaining the 1.2 stable branch. This change should come
> as no surprise to anyone monitoring the lists and code commits, it has
> become very clear that I no longer have the time nor drive to continue
> to improve nano; David was already doing much of the maintainer's job
> for 1.2.  Nano is already everything I ever hoped it could be; for the
> program to continue to improve a change had to be made.  I thank you all
> for your contributions, praise, and most importantly patience with me as
> maintainer.  David is a fine coder and I know he will do an excellent
> job for the new development series; he and I seem to share a lot of the
> same vision on what nano should and should not be.

Very cool, too. This should boost the development a bit.

What are the plans for 1.4, right now? On the top of my head, there are
two or three patches lying around which could be considered: DB's UTF-8
patch would rock; there's the repeat last search patch from Wouter and
there's this Debian bug that it'd be cool to fix:
  * #178423: nano should ask a confirmation before saving a file to a new name

We had talked about revamping colour support to try to make it faster...
and that's all I can think about right now.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/