nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: Wouter Van Hemel
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:33:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:

> Well then, it's another nail in -K's coffin.

If it was meant to fix the freebsd console/xterm, bury it. Deep. ;)

> <snip>
>
> >Thanks for your efforts,
>
> No problem.  I'm looking into how to eventually implement -d, and the
> Backspace = KEY_DC change appears to be only part of the solution; I
> still need to know what values are generated in all cases.  Would you
> mind doing the following (which I forgot about before):
>
> 1. Compile nano with --enable-debug.
>
> 2. Run nano without -K at the console.
>
> 3. In the edit window, press Backspace and Delete, and let me know what
> gets printed out for each key.  It should be something like "AHA!
> '[some character]' ([some number])".  I just need to know what [some
> number] is for each key.

AHA!    (263) [backspace]
AHA!  J (330) [delete]

> 4. Run nano without -K in an xterm, and repeat #3.

AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (aterm)
AHA!    (27)  [delete]

AHA!    (263) [backspace] (gnome-terminal)
AHA!    (27)  [delete]

AHA!    (263) [backspace] (eterm)
AHA!    (330) [delete]

AHA!    (263) [backspace] (xterm)
AHA!     7)   [delete]
        ^^^
   probably (27)

AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (gnome-terminal debian)
AHA!    (27)  [delete]

AHA!  J (330) [backspace] (xterm debian)
AHA!    (27)  [delete]

TERM was always "xterm". I don't know why it looks so random. Weird that
Eterm gets it right, just like in console... so -d will break Eterm, but
fix other xterm's. I guess the safest bet would be to try adding 330 and
263 for BackSpace, and 27 for Delete.