nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Lack of source for cygwin1.dll in windows version of na

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Lack of source for cygwin1.dll in windows version of nano
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 04:52:33 -0700

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 01:30:18PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> A cygwin mailing list user indicated that you were providing a copy
> of cygwin1.dll in your windows distribution of nano, so I thought I'd
> check out your site to see what was up.  I may be missing something but
> I don't see the source code for the cygwin DLL located anywhere on
> your site.

Hello Christopher,

        No, you are correct, my apologies. I have copied the file
cygwin-1.3.19-1-src.tar.bz2 to the NT/ subdirectory of the nano
distribution, I am using a fairly old installation of cygwin so I
imagine this should be the correct version.  Unfortunately I have no
electricity at home right now so I can't check for certain. If this does
not satisfy the requirements please let me know.  Ironic that a GNU
package would itself be violating the GPL...
        The win32 package you mentioned was created for people who
didn't want to have the entire cygwin distribution installed in order to
use nano; for the same reason the nano binary uses PDcurses rather than
ncurses so no termcap files are needed.  I think the cygwin provided
version of nano is far superior as things like spell check would
actually work, but I think the standalone win32 package is still useful,
just to a different audience.  Anyway, my apologies again and have a
good day.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001