nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Old patch, updated to new CVS.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Old patch, updated to new CVS.
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:21:20 -0700 (PDT)

>I still can't quite figure out how the one segfault is
>occurring.  It only occurs when I have multibuffers turned
>on, insert the /usr/bin/elvis binary from Slackware 8.1,
>and then close the window; the typescript against
>nano-1.1.10-cvs vanilla is attached (and no, I don't yet
>understand how it's connected to accessing the shortcuts).
>For right now, since it's an apparently rare bug, I'll go
>ahead with the testing for nanoproto.h and get that in;
>afterwards, I'll get back to this.

Never mind; I took one last look at it, and I have a fix,
although I don't know why the fix is needed.  Apparently,
in this one case, the value of s in the for loop that
checks for shortcuts is changing to an out-of-range value
after s->func() is called, which makes the loop continue
and nano segfault the next time s is dereferenced.  I
can't figure out why it's happening, especially with only
the one file, but I've worked around it by explicitly
breaking out of the for loop after a valid shortcut is
found and handled; it appears to work properly.

Also, a few last minor fixes for nanoproto.patch: make the
new multibuffer toggle check use NANO_LOAD_KEY, an alias
for TOGGLE_LOAD_KEY; the latter isn't defined when
--enable-tiny is used, so nano won't compile anymore when
--enable-tiny and --enable-multibuffer are used together.  Also (I actually did
this before, but forgot to mention
it), --enable-undo is removed, since it's just taking up
space*.

I'm now going to be doing the last tests of
nanoproto.patch to make sure it's stable.  Afterwards, I'm
going to get DB's fixes in*, first the trivial bugfixes,
and then the color/screen update rewrite after a little
more testing.

* (I got the ok from Chris on these already.)

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with address@hidden by
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag