myexperiment-hackers

Re: [myexperiment-hackers] Problem with /home caching

From: Danius Michaelides
Subject: Re: [myexperiment-hackers] Problem with /home caching
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:29:10 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Jiten Bhagat wrote:

Hi all

See attached screenshot....

Tom's caching work has improved performance of the "Home" page substantially, but there is an issue we need to fix - the time information (eg: "6 hours ago") gets stale and can cause confusion (I've now seen that "6 hours ago" message two days in a row) and won't get updated till the fragment for that box gets invalidated (by someone uploading or editing something).

Any ideas?

a) dont cache
b) dont write the time info
c) calculate the time info on the client (although I guess the list would
   still get out of date)
d) make the list dynamic (like annoucements on the frontpage)
e) make the cache observers invalidate the correct user caches

I guess some of this will change with Sergey's news code. I'll make
option (a) live in the meantime. Having the improved auth code would also
help here.

PS: this is why I had suggested a while back that timed expiry caching was the least disruptive option.

It'd still give incorrect text to the user. If you recall the timed expiry
was a temporary solution until it was done properly.

Danius