myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: CALL FOR THIRD YEAR PROJECT PROPOSALS - COM

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: CALL FOR THIRD YEAR PROJECT PROPOSALS - COMPUTER SCIENCE/INFORMATICS]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:20:14 +0000

An opportunity for very well defined projects.
good ones - like Matt's data playground - can be great

Carole
--- Begin Message --- Subject: CALL FOR THIRD YEAR PROJECT PROPOSALS - COMPUTER SCIENCE/INFORMATICS Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:15:12 +0000 User-agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 (Windows/20071031)

************** CALL FOR THIRD YEAR PROJECT PROPOSALS ******************
                 Computer Science/Informatics

************** Deadline: 17:00, Friday, 22nd FEBRUARY  ******************

It is time to compile the third year project book for the academic
session 2008-9. As with the current year, the cohorts enrolled in both
Computer Science and Informatics programmes will select from the same
project list, and be allocated projects proposed by members of staff
in Computer Science, and some members of staff in the Manchester
Business School. The initial allocation of projects will be made
shortly after the Easter vacation. This means the project book must be
compiled before Easter, which means that we will have to start
thinking of projects now.

Each member of staff will have to supervise on average about 3
projects. The standard maximum load will be 4 projects. I would
therefore ask everyone to generate at least 4 proposals. (Individuals
who have at least 4 students in the current session, 2007-8, will have
reduced loads next year; however, it will help if everyone still
submits 4 proposals.)  If you fail to propose four projects, or if
those you propose are not of interest to any students, you are very
likely to get saddled with supervising students doing projects of
their own devising. These are rarely the best students, and their
projects are often profoundly uninteresting. We would like to reduce
the number of OWN projects done by weak students, but this requires an
adequate supply of staff-generated ones.

Please remember that we now have the following cohorts of students to
consider:

All informatics programmes (INF)
Single Honours Computer Science (CS)
Computer Science with Business Management (BM)
Joint honours Computer Science and Maths (CM)

The project proposal template asks you to indicate suitability for
these cohorts. PLEASE try to cater for students of all cohorts, and
also for a balanced mix of student strengths.

Remember: an SH  project is nominally 240 hours of work
            CM                       120
            BM                       160
            INF                      400

These loadings are of course just guidelines. If a project can
sensibly be done by students in a given cohort, it should be open to
them. The project proposal template also asks you to grade the
difficulty of your project for each of the cohorts SH, CM, BM and INF.

Please note the guidance on the webpage about suggesting projects that
can be done by more than one student: there are quite specific rules
on this.

Please email the proposals to me (address@hidden) by *** 17:00
Friday 22nd FEBRUARY ****. If you expect to avoid supervising any
projects (by leave-of-absence, sabbatical, leaving post, etc), or if
you will be supervising less than a full load, please let her know. It
will affect my calculations of the loading for those less fortunate.

Instructions about how to submit projects may be found at:
http://intranet.cs.man.ac.uk/ugrad/projects/year08/projcall.html

Kath

--

Kath Mullins