myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] trip report - HASTAC conference

From: David De Roure
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] trip report - HASTAC conference
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:42:55 +0100 (BST)

I'm at an interesting conference in North Carolina - it's the
international HASTAC Conference, where HASTAC = Humanities Arts Science
Technology Advanced Collaboratory.  It's a bit like the UK e-Science All
Hands meeting, because it's interdisciplinary but also because all the
community leaders and funders are here, not just academics.  The
acceptance rate was 1 in 20 so it's high quality!

Two talks of note:

James Boyle: Creative Commons, Science Commons, and Open Source. This
reminds me that we should add these to our essential reading for
myExperiment - I strongly recommend you look at them:

        http://creativecommons.org/
        http://sciencecommons.org/

The 2nd was John Seely Brown (ex Director of Xerox PARC) on The Social
Life of Learning in the Net Age.  Very on message for us - am getting the
slides and hopefully video will be available.

Also of note is the fact that the event segued seamlessly between research
and learning, which reminded me again that we should be looking at use of
myExperiment in a teaching context - this is the point Robert has made
previously.

I talked about myExperiment on a panel about the evolution of the Web - my
position was that Web 3.0 mustn't just be semantic web + Web 2.0 because
that would be even more complicated, it has to be simple to use.  Slides
are on
        http://www.semanticgrid.org/presentations/hastac.ppt

I also had a good chat with Harry Halpin from Duke/Edinburgh about Taverna
semantics and various workflow representations including XML Pipeline - so
I would like to add this to the reading list too

        http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/

And I even had a walk through an RDF graph of a social network, in an
immersive environment!

All this needs to go on the Wiki when we have one.

-- Dave