Re: Mtn project...

From: grarpamp
Subject: Re: Mtn project...
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 02:07:09 -0400

> Graydon did upload an old version, but it's very old

Maybe someone would like to try replaying the mtn repo
into a fresh git init repo. Even just the file tree and log
msg, per each revision along the main branch to head.

A signed tarball of the mtn.db repo could be pushed to
another sub repo on github, overwriting it once in a while,
as a downloadable importable demo, and as an archive.

If more of an actual migration was thought of, then...

> issues.

This api could be used to push a dump of the ~190 mtn
tickets up to github...

https://docs.github.com/en/rest/reference/issues

github.io for homepage,
github wiki for wiki,
or just use text files in the main repo for all those infos.

> I'm not sure that will help the project get real traction
> in a world that has set its course

Set on git... moved from legacy cvs/svn/etc, along with most
of the intermediate contenders at the time hg/mtn/darcs/etc...
the world more or less settled on git as the interoperable
distributed repo everybody learn/use, with github as one of the
larger providers, and projects also hosting their own.
Git is the mass base now, all other vcs probably won't
traction until the next vcs revolution. That's ok in life.

Note that I2P and FreeBSD did finally moved to git...
https://geti2p.net/en/blog/post/2020/12/10/Hello-git-goodbye-mtn

But users and entities still like to look around in order to
fill unique needs, and for research, and for play.

> we owe ... it at least the
> minimum upkeep necessary to keep it working and compiling.

So for those reasons, sure :)

Most work would be library updates, and OS toolchain and api.

The general question is... to use git[hub] as the primary repo / site for
that [and or other functions] due to the masses that speak git reasons,
and or long term continuation... or to keep the mtn repo as primary
till whenever.

Maybe there are some updates to put here too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotone_(software)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_version-control_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_version-control_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source-code-hosting_facilities

And maybe ask the user/talk mailing lists of the big OS's that have
mtn ports/pkgs for an update, maybe some interesting new answers
would appear to the "who is using" questions here...

https://wiki.monotone.ca/

> Works for me

Please disregard, apologies.

No opinions, just noting for whoever thoughts on these subjects.