Re: [Monotone-devel] Won't transfer on syncing.

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Won't transfer on syncing.
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 10:31:27 -0400

On Wed, Sep 04, 2019 at 12:32:04AM -0500, Tim Brownawell wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 17:19 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > today, for no obvious reason, I get error messages when I try to
> > sync
> > whereas yesterday I did not.
> > [...]
> > mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> > /usr/bin/mtn: operation canceled: Terminated
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> > mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
> >
> > Don't know why the operation was cancelled, but the database locked
> > messages
> > result from requesting sync repeatedly.  Yes, I wait a while between
> > syncs.
> > What could cause the database to remain locked for hours?
>
> Is there another process with that file open? And if so, what's its
> parent process?

There wasn't that  knew of.  Of course there might have been some dead
process that left the file locked when it died.

> > On client:
> >
> > hendrik@midwinter:~/dv/fun/rackettown$ mtn log --brief --last=10
> > o   3292757161a37e2ff2fe1cfe76c982c19690cf84
> > address@hidden
> >
> [...]
> > On server, the oldest two of these branches are the same.  Server has
> > one
> > newer one, and client has several (different) newer ones;
> >

> > hendrik@april:~/dv/fun/rackettown$ mtn log --last=10 --brief
> > o   0dcbeac502ab204eb0cb9ca92ff132698afa4635 address@hidden
> >
> >    01/09/19 07:48:50 PM com.pooq.hendrik.free.fun.rackettown
> [...]
> > Yet when I do mtn sync on the client, I get:
> >
> > hendrik@midwinter:~/dv/fun/rackettown$ mtn sync
> > mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/rackettown'
> > mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.free.rackettown*'
> > mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
> > mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> > mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/rackettown'
> > mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | revs in
> > mtn:       351 |       712 |     0/0
> > hendrik@midwinter:~/dv/fun/rackettown$
> >

> > Nothing changes.
>
> The branch name for the include pattern does not match the branch name
> on the revisions (the "fun" component is missing).

Of course that would do it!  I thought I had carefully checked all that.
Evidently not carefully enough.

Thank you.

I've always thought monotone runs flawlessly once it's set up properly.
But getting the setup right is hard.

-- hendrik