Re: [Monotone-devel] ***SPAM*** Re: About certs

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ***SPAM*** Re: About certs
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 21:23:28 -0500

Frédéric Praca <address@hidden> writes:

>> Second, automate output should _not_ be formatted; it is not intended
>> to be seen by the user, but parsed by a tool that then presents it to
>> the user. The tool expects the default formatting, and should not
>> have to cope with random user settings.

> So my bug was not a bug so we should maybe revert it.

> In fact, I wrote after creating the Ohloh binding to Monotone which
> required to provide the timezone in the date output. I just added a
> "+00:00" by hand as a workaround.

> But I think that we loose the timezone information when using automate.

Hmm. What timezone are you looking for? There is none stored in the
database; all dates are UTC. I can think of at least two that might be
relevant:

1) the timezone active at the time automate is run

    get that outside automate; why would this be useful?

2) the timezone active when the commit was made

    not stored anywhere; why would this be useful?

Is there another timezone you want?

> So, adding date format allowed the tool that parse output to provide
> the date format is waiting for but you're right, if the tool does not
> provide the option, it will rely on user settings which is wrong.

Well, your tool is adding the format parameter, so all is ok for
your tool. The problem is other tools, that don't add the format
parameter.

I don't think there is a way in monotone to tell if an option is
specified on the current command line, or elsewhere (in some .monotonerc
file). If there was, we could only use a date format when specified
directly with the automate command.

--
-- Stephe