Re: [Monotone-devel] ***SPAM*** Re: About certs

From: Frédéric Praca
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ***SPAM*** Re: About certs
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:15:29 +0100

Le Thu, 06 Dec 2012 02:49:33 -0500,
Stephen Leake <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Frédéric Praca <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Le Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:31:27 -0500,
> > Stephen Leake <address@hidden> a écrit :

> >> What is the name of the branch? There are a lot, so it's easy to
> >> miss a new one.
> > In fact, I know that's a shame... But I committed directly on the
> > main branch as it was really an easy fix (see revision
> > b34d9438297eda705f7e736983e2d7fdce46c394 ) :)
>
> Ok. I have a couple comments.
>
> First, there should be test changes to go along with this; either
> current tests now have different outputs (I didn't run them), or there
> need to be new tests (most likely added to current test files).
Yes, I agree, that's a mistake as I just tested by hand.

> It is best to write the tests first; that way you can be sure you
So TDD is the way to work.
> actually fixed the right problem.
And moreover, you can check for regression.

> Second, automate output should _not_ be formatted; it is not intended
> to be seen by the user, but parsed by a tool that then presents it to
> the user. The tool expects the default formatting, and should not
> have to cope with random user settings.
So my bug was not a bug so we should maybe revert it.
In fact, I wrote after creating the Ohloh binding to Monotone which
required to provide the timezone in the date output. I just added a
"+00:00" by hand as a workaround.
But I think that we loose the timezone information when using automate.
So, adding date format allowed the tool that parse output to provide
the date format is waiting for but you're right, if the tool does not
provide the option, it will rely on user settings which is wrong.

> > For the cert modification, I will create a specific branch because
> > there are non trival changes.
>
> Ok. The current naming convention for this kind of branch is
> net.venge.monotone.issue-nnn, where 'nnn' is the issue number (you can
> only see these branch names with > --ignore-suspend-certs, since
> branches for closed issues are suspended).
Ok. I think there is no issue about it so for the moment, I will keep
it only by my side.
I think also that it will give us more questions about certs
table schema.

Fred
--
La taille toujours plus importante des applications est ce qui
rend possible la loi de Moore : Si nous n'avions pas mis votre