Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:17:21 -0700

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 01:18:49PM -0500, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> Netsync (initial pull, counting both server and client) appears to be:
>    13% libz (56% compression + 22% decompression + housekeeping)
>    11% Botan::SHA_160::hash
>    6% compute_delta_insns (strangely, this is 99% from compute_delta...
> which gets .09% of total)
>    5% _int_malloc
>    5% memcpy
>
> (oprofile, callgraph depth 10, and I'm not entirely certain I'm reading
> everything right. In particular, commands::process, cpp_main, and the
> like all get 0. Or maybe everything just happens more than 10 calls down
> from these?)

How to read the callgraph output:

http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_log/monotone?date=2006-02-28,Tue&sel=23#l36

(I also just stuck that link up on
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/PerformanceWork
along with my little hackish oprofile-to-kcachegrind converter.
)

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000