Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import rewrite

From: David Langenberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import rewrite
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:54:48 -0700

At 2005.12.16.04.53, in <address@hidden>,
        "Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker" <address@hidden> wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:53:10 -0800, Nathaniel
> Smith <address@hidden> said:
>
> njs> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:06:37PM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> njs> > I have been looking at cvsps, which can extract patchsets from cvs
> njs> > repositories. Unfortunately, it fails in case of inconsistent CVS
> njs> > repositories (i.e. the PostgreSQL cvs repo).
> njs>
> njs> Yeah, the rumors are basically that the only actually correct tools
> njs> for cvs importing are:
> njs>   -- cvs2svn
> njs>   -- monotone's cvs_import (but it doesn't link up branches)
> njs>   -- Canonical's internal, secret tool
>
> Hmm, does anyone have an opinion on git-cvs (the cvs importing tool
> for git)?  Since git has (or had?) some similarities with monotone, it
> might be something to look at more closely...

Git's cvs-import uses cvsps to do the hard work.  I've used it to import
several repositories, and have had a lot of success with it.   I also
tried the cvssync branch & found git was 100% successful with the
imports while cvssync had quite a few issues.  Though that was a while
ago, so cvssync may have gotten better.

Dave

David Langenberg
Network Based Services
The University of Chicago

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.