Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:16:51 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:44:23 -0400, Joel Reed
<address@hidden> said:

joelwreed> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:07:09PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
joelwreed> > Running out the door, so no time to read carefully now,
joelwreed> > but before I forget, does it do something sensible if the
joelwreed> > target filename already has some attributes on it?
joelwreed> > (Something sensible probably means "don't silently delete
joelwreed> > them".)
joelwreed>
joelwreed> ok, i guess now that we always drop attributes on drop
joelwreed> file, if there were attributes on the target filename, you
joelwreed> would have to add them after moving or copying the file,
joelwreed> but before monontone rename.  but why would anyone do that
joelwreed> if monotone rename does the right thing anyway?
joelwreed>
joelwreed> what do you think? what am i missing?

I'm not sure what's missing.  I'm thinking rename should probably
mimic "mv", meaning a rename to an already existing file in itself
should replace the old target file, along with the attributes.

Maybe a rename itself should check if the target file already exists,
and ask questions, regardless of the attributes?

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/