[Monotone-devel] OS X and filename character set support

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] OS X and filename character set support
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:12:52 -0700

So, I was fixing our support for locale-specific filename encodings,
and someone told me that on OS X, unlike other POSIX systems, you
always use UTF-8 when talking to the filesystem, _even if_ the user's
current locale is non-Unicode.

Does anyone know if this is true?  If I call a POSIX function like
open(2) on OS X, and my LC_CTYPE is, say, some ISO 8859 encoding, what
character encoding should the char* filename be in?

If it is true, is there also some requirement on the normalization
form?

I'd especially appreciate a pointer to some canonical reference; I
just spent some time wandering all over developer.apple.com, but no
luck, either they've hidden this info well or they just don't have it
available.

I-hate-charsets-ly yours,

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein