[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.el: menu and scoping...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.el: menu and scoping...
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:28:20 -0700

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:16:33PM -0700, Harley Gorrell wrote:
>    I tried monotone.el on emacs 22.0.50 and didnt have any
> errors with the menu.  I am wondering if there is something
> up with your version.  Could you try some other version and
> see if it happens again?
>
>    While working on the "scoping" issue I found something
> which was odd. This is what I did:
>
> cd $MONOTONE_SRC                   # wherever
> monotone log --depth=10            # output as expected (1)
> monotone log --depth=10 .          # no output          (2)
> monotone log --depth=10 contrib/.  # no output          (3)
>  monotone log --depth=10 contrib/monotone.el # output   (4)
> cd contrib
> monotone log --depth=10             # same as "1"  (5)
> monotone log --depth=10 .           # no output    (6)
> monotone log --depth=10 monotone.el # none         (7)
>
>    I would expect the ouput from 1,2 & 5 to be the same and
> that of 3 & 6 to be the same. It would be nice if 7 had the
> same output as 4.
>
>    The case of 3 & 7 is really irksome.

Err, yeah; "log" has really lame restrictions support at the moment.
(Basically, it never got switched to the new restrictions code.)  It
should use --revision to get the revision to use, and it should take
an arbitrary restriction set on the command line.  But it doesn't.
CC'ed to monotone-devel in case anyone is interested in a project...

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco