[Monotone-devel] Re: another newbie question - nonlinear ordering

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: another newbie question - nonlinear ordering
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:12:03 +0100

"K. Richard Pixley" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Is this history really lost in monotone?  Or how is this handled?

That used to be so, but now the history is recorded more robustly.
I'm sure there was once a document specifically about this, but I
can't see it now.  It's described in the manual:
<http://www.venge.net/monotone/docs/Historical-records.html#Historical-records>.

If I understand things correctly, the history is a graph of revisions,
and each revision contains not only the hashes of the old and new
manifests (which can repeat), but the hashes of the ancestral
revisions, which can't.  Previously the graph was made up of
certificates joining manifests, and that allowed cyclic graphs.