[Monotone-devel] Re: Doing a diff between branches

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Doing a diff between branches
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:19:05 +0100

"Gerald W. Lester" <address@hidden> writes:

> Bruce Stephens wrote:

[...]

>>Sure.  For example,
>>
>>    monotone diff --revision=24517f62e662d91a059f00573757f9a76bee01b9
>> --revision=094a5075b4bd7fe379f810edeb5f03283b50e13a monotone.texi
>>
> Thanks, that variant was not on the man/help page.

Ah, you're right.  I was looking at "monotone diff --help", which does
list this, but the real documentation has:

monotone diff
monotone diff pathname...
monotone diff --revision=id
monotone diff --revision=id pathname...
monotone diff --revision=id1 --revision=id2

So I think it's just the documentation that's not quite right, since
it seems to work.

[...]

> I'm evaluating it for usability and any such pointers help.

Actually I think "monotone log <pathname>" probably does do what you'd
expect.

> The problem is I need the tools to run under MS Windows (XP and 2000)
> so monotone-viz is out (I could not find any windows builds).

Right.  It's in OCaml, which is available on Windows, and uses Gtk+
(available on Windows), and graphviz (presumably at least buildable on
Windows, using Cygwin).  So it seems theoretically possible.  Probably
not very easy, though.

There's monotree.  I don't think it does quite the same as
monotone-viz, but it's in Java (intended for Windows).

It would be nice to have a web server thingy providing the moral
equivalent of viewcvs and similar things.  Ideas on good designs for
that would, I'm sure, be welcome.

I think there's a trickiness about accessing the same repository
simultaneously with more than one client; maybe that could be hacked
up by giving the web application its own copy of the repository, and
only allowing push to it, and carefully protecting it (or maybe only
allow pull from it, under the control of the app?).  However, there's
also the general weirdness of monotone with its multiple heads,
annoyingly long revision names, and things, and those need ideas of
designs.  My guess is if someone came up with a coherent design, it
wouldn't be too hard to hack a prototype.