Re: [Monotone-devel] Option --without-bundled-lua does not behave as exp

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Option --without-bundled-lua does not behave as expected
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:31:41 -0700

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:57:31AM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> I have been trying to convince the monotone build configuration to
> link monotone with a shared lua library as provided by debian. I use
> the option "--without-bundled-lua" and I have also tried
> "--with-bundled-lua=no". I have not been able to get this to work as
> expected so far. The source in lua subdirectory is still compiled
> and added to "lib3rdparty.a", and it does not show up in the "ldd
> monotone" shared library list.
>
> Question; Has this configure option (--without-bundled-lua) been
> verified to work as expected?

No, we don't really maintain those, and there's no guarantee that even
if you got the build system to work, the result would work, since we
sometimes make local modifications to the bundled libraries and don't
always keep perfect track of doing so.  (In Lua's case, for example, I
believe we diked out the "os.execute" function directly from the
source, since it is unsafe.)

As a general rule, you want to use the bundled libraries.  They
work and are tested, when the upstream version might be neither.  (And
we're not all that interested in spending lots of valuable debugging
time tracking down bad interactions with whatever weird versions of
those libraries users might have installed...)

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."