Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Question for the FAQ

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Question for the FAQ
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:38:19 -0700

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:41:46PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Its name. 8-)
>
> Suppose you have a directory called FOO, rename it in one branch to
> BAR (with monotone, this means to move all files in it to BAR), and
> keep another branch which still has the FOO directory.  Now you add a
> file called FOO/baz to the second branch.  If you merge it into the
> first, it shows up as FOO/baz, not BAR/baz, which makes more sense in
> many cases.
>
> So the answer is no, monotone does not support directory versioning.

If that's what you mean by versioning directories, then your
conclusion is incorrect.

Monotone supports recording directory deletions and renames, and they
are 3-way merged along with file adds, deletes, and renames.  For
instance, your example works exactly as you want it to with current
monotone.

Current limitations:
  - directory deletion is broken and needs fixing
  - we have poor UI for resolving conflicts discovered during this
    part of the merge (though this isn't particular to directories,
    merging <add foo> with <rename bar foo> has the same problem).
  - there is no "add directory" operation; we probably need to add one
    for some subtle reasons:
      https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=12070
    but this requires a small architectural change, not just a bug
    fix.

  /* Tell the world that we're going to be the grim
   * reaper of innocent orphaned children.
   */
-- Linux kernel 2.4.5, main.c