Re: [Monotone-devel] How long is a while? Or pull source more than 2 hou

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] How long is a while? Or pull source more than 2 hours? [was: Re: no more bitkeeper for linux?]
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:30:05 -0700

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:18:14PM +0200, Henry Nestler wrote:
> Last days I have also detect, that monotone are very slow with big
> database. I started a pull of Monotone source, and after 30 Minites it
> does no network traffic and eats all CPU time. In next follow 60 Minutes
> I wand to write a bug report to you. I do make screen shoots and all.
> But before I post this all, the download was ready after total more than
> 2 hours to download your source of 37MB. So I do not wrote to list.

Yes, that is normal.

> monotone: verifying new revisions (this may take a while)
> monotone: [bytes in: 23910613] [bytes out: 554635] [certs in: 5924]
> [revs in: 2175]

This is why it warns you that it might take a while :-).

The cause is the increased safety checking added in 0.17; it is not
fully optimized yet.  We're working on it; current mainline is better
than 0.17 (though I haven't measured how much recently).

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music