Re: [Monotone-devel] Sanity check failures on current head

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sanity check failures on current head
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:44:25 -0800

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 07:33:13PM +0100, Jon Bright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This seems like a blocker for 0.17.  Upon following the self-hosting
> instructions on venge.net, using current head, the pull fails a sanity
> check.  I've run it with --debug, the last few lines of the debug log are:

This is a blocker for 0.17, though not quite in the way you think :-).

This is a genuine bug in 0.16; existing repositories have some badness
in them.  They need to be rebuilt, when we move to 0.17.  Since
rebuilding is a big pain in the butt, and requires careful
coordination, we decided to add extra machinery to monotone to make it
safer and more sane (this is the "epoch support" that's been mentioned
on the list a few times).  We've worked pretty hard to make sure that
this kind of badness can't creep in again, but we figured it's better
to have the machinery in place and never use it, then to need it and
not have it...

Putting the finishing touches on this machinery are the biggest thing
blocking 0.17 right now.  (The netsync support isn't quite right, ATM,
and I've been playing host to prospective students this week...)

> Following this, I copied a 0.16 DB, did 'db dump' with 0.16, did 'db
> load' with 0.17, did 'db migrate' with 0.17.  This resulted in a db with
> which I could check out the monotone source.  On trying 'db rebuild',
> however, a different sanity failure occurred.  I've run this with
> --debug, too, but I can't really tell how much of the end of the debug
> log might be needed.  The assertion, in any event, is:
>
> monotone: finished concatenation
> monotone: revision.cc:158: invariant 'I(*changesets.find(old_id)->second
> == *old_to_child_changes_p)' violated

Yes, this is a known bug in current mainline, that I haven't had a
chance to track down yet -- it's the other thing blocking 0.17 right
now :-).

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."