[Monotone-devel] 1000 revisions of monotone

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] 1000 revisions of monotone
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:28:55 -0800

Just doing some testing of 'db rebuild', I noticed that the little
revision ticker counted all the way up to... 1008.  Apparently, we
just broke 1000 revisions.  Not quite up to gcc's 70000+, but,
not bad :-).

The actual 1000th revision, assuming everyone's clocks are telling
the truth, appears to have been
dc73e0dc24387b27a23aa6162f12a78a033dc244, by graydon and Danny Berlin:

2005-02-18  graydon hoare  <address@hidden>

        * automate.cc (automate_heads): Fix initialize() call.
        * change_set.{cc,hh}
        (apply_path_rearrangement): Add quick version.
        * revision.cc
        (check_sane_history): Use quick version of apply_change_set.
        * work.cc
        (build_addition): Use quick version of apply_path_rearrangement.
        (known_preimage_path): Likewise.
        * testsuite.at: Fix definitions of _ROOT_DIR, add --norc some
        places.
        * AUTHORS: Mention Daniel.

2005-02-18  Daniel Berlin  <address@hidden>

        * xdelta.cc (compute_delta_insns): Correct 1-byte-source bug.

For this, they each shall receive a fabulous No-Prize...

The first revision in the repository was the 0.4 release, committed on
2003-09-04.  It took 533 days from then to reach 1000 revisions, so
we've averaged just under 2 revisions/day since then.  For comparison,
in 0.4 we were still working on getting the depot code stable (!),
we still used manifest certs to record history, update would
report an error if the working copy was already up to date, and the
line merger failed on common cases.  There were 12 tests in the
autotest testsuite; now there are >120, with about 80% source
coverage[1].

At the time of 0.4, all code was written by graydon (except a few
small tweaks from Tom Tromey); now, the AUTHORS file contains almost
30 names.  Nor is that because of isolated bugfixes in the distant
past: almost 10 different people were in the running for the 1000th
revision, if they'd just been a few commits earlier or later...

We've come a long way.  Thought I'd take a moment to thank everyone,
for their patches, testcases, testing, design critiques, complaints
about bugs, whines about missing functionality, build fixes, perverse
failure modes, and all the rest that's made monotone what it is today,
and made working on it so much fun for me.  And mondo thanks to
graydon, of course, for getting the ball rolling and keeping the
circus on track.  Y'all rock.

Right, back to this 0.17 release I'm supposed to be working on...

-- Nathaniel

[1] http://frances.vorpus.org/~monotone-cov/net.venge.monotone/

--
Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould