Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: branch aliases

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: branch aliases
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:03:55 -0600

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:29:29 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> We do want to (continue to) strongly encourage people to put
njs> hostnames into their branch names; uniqueness is important in a
njs> system where anyone can, at any point, sync their database with
njs> any other project's.  I don't see any need to impose policy
njs> beyond that (not that we can even really impose that); I'm happy
njs> to let projects make their own decisions...

Someone mentioned the problem with not owning a domain.  We could,
just as a suggestion, also propose the following alternative:
{email}/{branch}/{subbranch} (for example, address@hidden/foo/bar).
I think that's a better idea than inventing something else, mostly
because people are lazy and too many might resort to known examples,
like foo.com/foo/bar.

I do think address@hidden/branch/name is a good idea as another branch name option. But I think we should encourage domain.com/branch/name.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson