Re: [Monotone-devel] profiling instructions?

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] profiling instructions?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:31:35 +0100

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 23:16 +0100, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:

> Now, how do I understand the profiling output...  guess I'll post it in
> my next email for the experts to take a look.

Run 'gprof' on the directory with the gmon.out file.  Looking through
the output, you should be able to find one of the (maybe) most important
sections.

It lists all functions involved in your run, together with the number of
times called and the overall time spent in them.  They are sorted in
descending order, so the one on top is the one that took the most time.

>From that point, you can look if that function can be optimized (and if
it is worth to do so).

But well, I haven't done much profiling, so I may be wrong ;)

Cheesr,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/