Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions and SVN type branches/tags?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] restrictions and SVN type branches/tags?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:57:12 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:50:26 -0600, Derek Scherger
<address@hidden> said:

derek> if this isn't available from graydon you can get it from my
derek> netsync server at www.echologic.com with the following public
derek> key.

Oooooh, that was an unexpected coolness factor, to combine pulls from
several servers into one database :-).  I'm now pulling both from
graydon's server and from yours.

I like monotone more and more.

derek> > derek> Creating a branch is really nothing more than just putting a
derek> > derek> new branch cert on some manifest.
derek> >
derek> > Hmm, isn't that a bit simplistic?  I'm not entirely sure how branching
derek> > is supposed to work, but doesn't what you say mean that a specific
derek> > manifest is changed to belong to the new branch, thus affecting
derek> > everyone who happens to update from the same head as you do?  If that
derek> > is so, I will probably see that as a bug.
derek>
derek> adding a cert to a manifest doesn't change the manifest, the
derek> cert is just associated with the manifest. the manifest may
derek> belong to many different branches but it doesn't know that.
derek> the branches sort of reach out and grab the manifest through
derek> their certs.

OK, I got the impression that when I do a 'monotone update' in another
working directory, it would change to the new branch if it sees that
cert associated with the head manifest.  Sounds silly, now that I
think of it, especially if a manifest can be part of several branches
at once, so I probably made a mistake in my experiments...

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/