monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Uploading 0.42 for squeeze, and structure of the d

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Uploading 0.42 for squeeze, and structure of the debian branch
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:14:41 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:47:22 -0800, Zack Weinberg
<address@hidden> said:

zackw> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
zackw> > In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:12:27 -0800, Zack
Weinberg <address@hidden> said:
zackw> >
zackw> > zackw> $ tar zxf monotone_0.43.tar.gz
zackw> > zackw> $ cd monotone_0.43
zackw> > zackw> $ mtn clone -b net.venge.monotone.debian-dir monotone.ca debian
zackw> > zackw> $ dpkg-buildpackage -i
zackw> > zackw>
zackw> > zackw> What do you say?
zackw> >
zackw> > I disagree.
zackw> >
zackw> > If you want to release a patched up version for some glitch
zackw> > that is specific to Debian but is in the rest of the source,
zackw> > you basically can't today without waiting for a new
zackw> > mainstream release.
zackw>
zackw> Did you mean "under this proposal" when you said "today"?

Uhmm, yes.

zackw> Could you live with the use of quilt+debian/rules patch, or dbs
zackw> simple-patchsys.mk, or (archive permitting) package format
zackw> 3.0(quilt)

Uhmmmm, I'm not really sure what you're saying there, but I assume
that you're talking about producing debian/patches/ with a set of
patches, and I've seen such patches break horrendously (because they
contained patches for configure, which got generated by a different
version of autoconf on my system, which...  bleah!) when I'm trying
to build the package using such things as dpkg-buildpackage, while
patches that are in package_version.diff.gz apply beautifully.

zackw> > Besides, I don't see much difficulty in this:
zackw> >
zackw> > $ cp PATH/TO/monotone_0.43.tar.gz .
zackw> > $ mtn clone monotone.ca net.venge.monotone.debian-diff monotone-0.43
zackw> > $ cd monotone-0.43
zackw> > $ dpkg-buildpackage -i
zackw>
zackw> There are several problems with this that my proposal avoids:
zackw>
zackw>  - you have to remember to do the merge from mainline to .dd

I haven't really seen that as a problem.  Guess I missed that one...

zackw>  - you may get spurious diffs due to autotools version skew

Hmmm, I've missed that one too, as I've produced the original tar file
and the package on the same machine.

zackw>  - once .stripped lands you will have to jump through hoops to
zackw>    get dpkg-buildpackage not to include all of the Attic files
zackw>    in the .diff.gz (this is the big one)

Why?  After all, if the Attic files go into nvm and then we propagate
that to nvm.debian-diff, why would that generate a diff?  Unless you
actively make changes to them in nvm.debian-diff...

zackw>  - the clone command you suggest takes about 20 minutes,
zackw>    whereas a new org.debian.monotone branch containing new file
zackw>    copies of the debian/ files only would be much faster

If you're regularly doing this, I assume you'd keep the database
around and just update it regularly instead of cloning every time!

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/