Re: Multiple 'every' clauses not working as expected

From: Aaron Lindsay
Subject: Re: Multiple 'every' clauses not working as expected
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 19:50:31 -0500

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 5:48 PM Lutz Mader <lutz.mader@freenet.de> wrote:
Hello Aaron,
you are using a variant of a statement multiple times, the last one will
be used therefor. See
https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#SERVICE-POLL-TIME for
some more information.

But, if you use "every 2 cycles" in a service, all services depends to
this service are checked every two cycles too.

But you can use "every" ony once in a service definition.

I'm familiar with that section of the documentation, but I don't see where it says that 'every' may only be supplied once in a service definition. And, in fact, a previous email on this list (see https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/monit-general/2019-06/msg00022.html) suggests exactly the opposite of what you have said! (I'm not saying you're wrong, but explaining my confusion)

The more I think about this, the more I think I might consider it a bug one way or the other: Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me like monit should either raise an error when you supply multiple 'every' statements (at least for `monit -t`), *or* use the combination of all the 'every' statements. Allowing multiple 'every' statements but ignoring some of them seems it's a trap for people to fall into, especially since this behavior isn't mentioned in the documentation.

-Aaron