Re: Auto-reload of configuration files

From: Eric Montellese
Subject: Re: Auto-reload of configuration files
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 00:30:22 -0400

Unfortunately, the timestamp of a directory is not updated when a file is modified within a directory.  'inotify' can be used to watch a directory for all changes to all files, but inotify functionality would need to be added to monit.  I suppose the timestampe issue could be worked around by always deleting a file and re-adding it (rather than modifying in place), but we'd like to avoid any requirements or "things to remember".

Best,
Eric

Eric Montellese
EME, Inc.
434-987-6124

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM Lutz Mader <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Eric,
you can use monit to monitor the config folder.

> One option that we've tested is to have a separate process (or wrapper)
> that runs inotify on the configuration files, and sends SIGHUP to monit if
> a change is detected.  This works, but it seems a shame to add a separate
> monitor for monit.

All the time a config file will added or removed the timestamp of the
folder will change. If you find out the folder was changed you can check
the config and if the test was passed you can reload the config.

Monit is used to monitor monit, but this is an easy way to reload the
config after some changes. From my point of view.

With regards,
Lutz