Re: Check the age of a process

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Check the age of a process
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 22:18:14 +0200

Yes, the uptime test can be used this way.

The process check will however alert if the process is not running - you can suppress this alert though: https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#Setting-an-event-filter

Cheers,

What if I wanted to check for something running too long?  I tried this and it's alerting for not being present or for having less uptime.  Is it possible to negate the alerting logic so it's OK when something is not running or it's less that a certain age?

check process filter_grep_age matching filter_grep
    if uptime > 7 hours then alert

This filter_grep command shouldn't run for more than a few hours or a user has forgotten to stop it.