M/Monit host and service uptime downtime calculation

From: Me
Subject: M/Monit host and service uptime downtime calculation
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 07:16:27 -0500

Hello,

I’ve just only recently (last 3-4 weeks) started using M/Monit again. In my
deployment over the last few weeks there have been many restarts, etc, just
seeing how the results work out. I’ve noticed something, and wanted to see if I
could get some input.

In M/Monit under REPORTS = UPTIME, if I have 1D selected, all my hosts indicate
downtime of a fraction of a percentage, in the range of 99.89 to 99.98. None
show 100% uptime even though they show 0 Downtime and 0 Events. But some of the
same hosts show 100% uptime if I select 1W or 1M. At the same time, some of
these hosts did have events in the last 24hours, like a bandwidth or load
event. But those don’t seem to be showing as an event on that screen. The
manual says that events are part of how the calculation, and how it’s
determined.

So I guess what I’m trying to figure out is how “fuzzy” is this actual report,
and the contents that are used to calculate? And shouldn’t the events still be
indicated, even if just 1 or 2?

Thanks

-j