ProcMatch Was: Monit won't monitor my program

From: Kevin Chadwick
Subject: ProcMatch Was: Monit won't monitor my program
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:54:00 +0100

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:09:27 +0200
Martin Pala wrote:

> Sorry, but you are monit user and you have to know or find where your process
> stores the pidfile. If no pidfile is available, you can use the "check
> process XYZ matching ..." test which uses unique pattern to find the process
> (the pattern can be tested with "monit procmatch PATTERN).

I avoid pid files as the process list is always current.

Usually you have a unique name like httpd: parent process which I had
scripted.

I noticed today however that OpenBSD's newsyslog matches the parent
and not the children which run as www user with

pkill -USR1 -U root -u root -x httpd

I switched to that because a change in newsyslog.conf would flag up
that I may need to check if it still matches (I expect both always will
though)

So figured I'd throw out the idea that perhaps a user match for
procmatching could be useful?