OpenVPN monitoring?

From: Jonathan Greenberg
Subject: OpenVPN monitoring?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:30:10 -0500

Monit-ers:

I've been successful doing simple process monitoring tasks with monit,
but I recently ran into an issue where openvpn seems to "die" without
really crashing -- the symptom is my system networking stops seeing
the outside world and/or my IP reverts back to my "real" IP.  openvpn
is running, but it requires restarting it to get the networking
working again.  I'd like to set up a monitoring tasks that monitors
and restarts openvpn if:
1) No "outside" connectivity is present OR 2) my "outside" IP address
is a specific IP (the non-openvpn one that would show up with e.g.
http://www.whatsmyip.org/).

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?  Thanks!

--j