Re: restarting ffmpeg process

From: Anthony Griffiths
Subject: Re: restarting ffmpeg process
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 23:03:05 +0100

I wrote a script called stream-start.sh that follows your instructions but even though ffmpeg starts fine it does not create a pid file. I created this:
long-ffmpeg-command &
pid=$!
echo $pid > /var/run/stream.pid
but this didn't work and and after trawling google and trying a few variations the script still does not create a pid file.

in monitrc I have:
check process stream with pidfile /var/run/stream.pid
       start = "/usr/bin /root/start-stream.sh"
and monit starts without any complaints

but the monit log shows:
error    : monit: Error reading pid from file '/var/run/stream.pid'
error    : 'stream' process is not running
error    : monit: Start or stop method not defined -- process stream
thanks for any further advice.