Monitor Multiple Processes with Same Name

From: Rexford Park
Subject: Monitor Multiple Processes with Same Name
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 20:26:31 +0000 (GMT)

I have a kiosk computer that runs a web browser to display a specific web application  After a few days the browser gets laggy and unresponsive and needs to be manually killed and restarted.

I have monit checking other parts of the system just fine but I've run into an issue with the browser.

The browser (chromium) starts up it's main process which then starts up more processes. At any given time there are 4-5 processes under the chromium name that are running. Monit picks the PID of whichever one it sees first and only checks that process, ignoring the others. Most of the time Monit isn't watching the process that is eating up CPU and RAM.

Current config (starting the browser back up is handled by another program for now)
check process browser matching "chromium"
    stop program = "/usr/bin/killall -I chromium"
    if cpu usage > 50% for 3 cycles then stop

Can someone point me in the right direction or provide an example of how to get Monit to look at all of the chromium processes either separately or combined?

Thanks,
Rex