Cannot open connection via TCP.

From: AswinRoy
Subject: Cannot open connection via TCP.
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 23:54:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am using monit to monitor MySQL on another system in my same network. The
ICMP echo request is established. But, monitoring ports ( MySQL ) doesn't
work. Error shown is cannot open connection to INET ( ip address) via TCP
when i checked the events through M/Monit. The code I use in monitrc file is
:

   check host remotehost with address xxx.xxx.x.xxx
   if failed icmp type echo count 3 with timeout 3 seconds then alert
   if failed port 3306 protocol mysql with timeout 15 seconds then alert

Should there be any change in the code? Or is it something regarding the
port? I tried disabling ipv6 firewall using:
sudo ufw disable

Regards.