Re: Process cpu testing

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: Process cpu testing
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:00:16 -0500

Well, if you look at top reporting cpu on a multicore server, some processes do, indeed exceed 100%. I suppose there is an argument to report it either way.

But you answered my question, and I thank you.

-AJ

Martin Pala <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

the total cpu maximum (summary for all CPU core resources) is 100% in Monit.

Single threaded application (such as soffice) which uses 100% of single CPU will count for 100/number_of_cpus [%]

For example if you have 8 CPUs/cores:

- multithreaded application (e.g. MySQL) or application with multiple child processes (Apache) which which will hog all cpus will show up as 100% cpu usage

- if single threaded application will hog cpu, it will show as 100/8=12.5%

The way how monit counts the cpu usage is similar to how memory and disk usage is presented by the system: 100% memory usage = summary of all memory sticks in the system, 100% filesystem usage = summary of free subdisks capacity (in case of RAID 0/5/6). If we'll go with the model where every CPU will be 100%, then multi-CPU systems will report for example 800% CPU usage in above described multithreaded application case, which will be less natural.

Regards,
Martin