Re: Monit Start at System boot...

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit Start at System boot...
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:38:26 +0200

On May 9, 2011, at 11:16 AM, AJames wrote:

> On 6 May 2011 12:26, AJames <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Hi ,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu. I placed the following line
>> 'mo:2345:respawn:/usr/local/bin/monit -Ic /etc/monitrc'  in
>> '/etc/init.d/rc.local' in the following file as suggested.  But the monit
>> service is not running at startup. Please help.
>>

> You probably just need to edit /etc/default/monit and change the "startup=0"
> to "startup=1".
>
> - Matt
>
> --
>
> Thanks matt for reply, I didn't find any file with name monit in /etc. There
> is one file 'monitrc' in /etc location. I changed the file by adding the
> parameter but it is giving exception.

The file /etc/default/monit is part of Ubuntu's monit package - if you
installed monit using the binary distribution from
http://www.mmonit.com/monit/download/ then it is not present.

The line which you added to /etc/init.d/rc.local is for /etc/inittab - it
cannot be used in rc.local.

You can add following line to the /etc/init.d/rc.local instead:
--8<--
/usr/local/bin/monit -c /etc/monitrc
--8<--
... this will start monit in daemon mode.

Alternatively you can integrate monit with upstart this way:

1.) place the attached file as /etc/init/monit.conf
2.) run "initctl reload-configuration" command
3.) you can then start monit like this: "start monit"

Regards,