[monit] Process without pidfile - cannot script

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: [monit] Process without pidfile - cannot script
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:35:17 +1000

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot but as far as I can tell Monit requires a pidfile in order to monitor a process.

I'm a bit stuck as to how to apply this to Samba. I don't want to monitor the main Samba process, but I do want to monitor each process that gets spawned every time someone connects. If there are 50 users connected to the machine, there will be ~51 copies of smbd running, and they are created more or less at random so there is no way to put them in a pidfile.

After these sub-processes have exceeded a certain amount of memory I want to kill them (the Windows machine will immediately reconnect so this isn't a problem) but I'm not sure how to tell monit to check all the processes that match the name "smbd".

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Adam.