Re: [monit] Monit 5.0.2 question

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit 5.0.2 question
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 07:50:40 +0200

The problem is that there is no reliable way how to get correct FQDN. There is unreliable interface getdomainname() which returns on many platforms empty string or often default domains like "localdomain", "mydomain" when no other specific domain was set during system installation. The getdomainname() takes the value on some platforms from sysctl, on other platforms from file in /etc/ and on other platforms it's completely ignored. The name service lookup is not reliable as well - it depends on how the name service was set (usually NSS switch uses local files first which often have the shortname in front of longname for the given IP address and thus return often shortname first).

There are at least two possible solutions:

1.) set the machine hostname to FQDN instead of shortname (usually in / etc/hostname, but it's platform depended) ... the hostname can be checked with "uname -n" - monit's $HOST will then expand to FQDN

2.) expand the $HOST in monitrc to FQDN hostname manually ... in mail- format{} statement simply set the "from:" option to FQDN address, the "set mailserver" option allows to specify the hostname which should be used in SMTP communication (message-id header and HELO/EHLO command) this way:
  set mailserver foo.bar.baz using hostname "my.monit.host"

Other software usually handles the problem same way - for example MTAs like Postfix, Sendmail require manual configuration of domain name when "uname -n" is not fully qualified.

Martin