Re: [monit] Blocking specific GET requests to M/Monit

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] Blocking specific GET requests to M/Monit
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:21:29 +0100

I second Alexander suggestions. Another alternative is to setup Apache in front of M/Monit as a proxy. I strongly recommend NOT exposing the mmonit server to the wild. Most importantly, since mmonit does not yet support SSL, login will be done in cleartext over the wire which is very bad. Also as a general security rule, tools like M/Monit should NOT be directly accessible from the cloud.

To setup Apache to proxy mmonit, you can add something like this to httpd.conf:

# Proxy mmonit
ProxyPass /mmonit/ http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassReverse /mmonit/ http://localhost:8080/
<Location /monit/>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from .example.com
        Allow from all
</Location>

Using M/Monit behind an Apache proxy also has the added benefit that you can use SSL in Apache. This means that all communication between mmonit and clients are encrypted in the cloud, which means that login also will be secure.

Jan-Henrik