Re: [monit] Resetting Checksums

From: Art Age Software
Subject: Re: [monit] Resetting Checksums
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:13:33 -0700

> 1) If you are monitoring the checksum of a file, it's, IMHO, for monitoring
> if someone makes changes on this file, isn'it  ? (Personnally, I don't
> monitor a checksum on a file subject to changes, so Monit do what I expect
> of it by default). Then, if you change something, monit will trigger an
> alert. But, if you want, I think you can use exec in order to stop/start
> this service with a script.
> In this case, your checksum will be regenerate (I don't have access to a
> sandbox for tests with monit, so please check it)

I think I wasn't clear in my initial question. Yes, I want monit to
alert me if the checksum changes due to an unauthorized change to a
file. But sometimes I need to update the file myself. For example, I
have monit monitoring its own config file monit.conf. Sometimes, I add
a new service to monitor in monit.conf. So I want to "reset" monit's
monitoring of this file so that it will rechecksum and monitor the
updated file. Make sense?

> 2) Create a script for initialisation. Something like :
>
> monit -g <group name> monitor all
> You can unmonitor with : monit -g <group name> unmonitor all.
>
> If you run a script, which do :
> /etc/init.d/monit start
> monit -g <group name> monitor all
>
> Then, you can run all your service at startup.

I am not concerned with startup. The correct thing happens at startup
as the manual mode processes are started by heartbeat. However, if I
want to restart monit - but not heartbeat - then the manual mode
processes won't get monitored after restarting monit. This is the
problem I am trying to solve.

Sam