Re: [monit] monitor checksum and timestamp

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] monitor checksum and timestamp
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:22:40 +0200

Right now the compound statements like "IF <test1> AND <test2> THEN ..." are not supported (but we discussed it internally and plan to do it in the future.

In you case it could be possible to simplify the test probably to use timestamp only?

The timestamp checks the mtime and ctime, thus if the file was updated, the timestamps will change. Unless you are rewriting the file over and over regardless of changes (which may be eliminated by the checksum test), the timestamp-only solution could work.

Optionally if you will still need to check both checksum and timestamp, you can use just the checksum test in monit and modify the "/bin/backup" to check the timestamp before the file is copied.

Martin

Matthias Teege wrote:
Moin,

I need to backup configuration files after changes.
check file fluff_conf with path /etc/fluff.conf
  if changed checksum
      then exec "/bin/backup fluff.conf"

works for this but if I make small changes the file was copied any two
minutes. What I need is something like this:

check file fluff_conf with path /etc/fluff.conf
  if changed checksum and timestamp > 30 Minutes
      then exec "/bin/backup fluff.conf"

How do I config monit for that problem?

Many thanks
Matthias