Re: [monit] alert restarts service

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] alert restarts service
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 00:22:45 +0200

Hi,

the restart action when monitored process exits is implicit.

We plan to add options to allow to override the default behavior:
http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php#36

Since the process existence comes before socket testing, in your case monit detects that ssh is not running and restarts it. The socket/port related alert action was not even evaluated (since it makes no sense when process is not running).

If you want to cleanly stop process which is monitored by monit, you should do "monit stop ssh", so monit will perform the stop (otherwise when the process exists out of monit control, monit tries to fix the problem).

Remote hosts can be monitored using "check host" statement ... currently it is not possible to restart remote services (just alerts). The possibility to restart remote services will be part of M/Monit.

We don't have IRC channel for support currently.

Cheers,
Martin

gorlist wrote:
Hello,

firstly let me say a big thank you to the developers for such a wonderful tool.

So my monitrc looks like this:
 check process sshd with pidfile /var/run/sshd.pid
   start program  "/etc/init.d/sshd start"
   stop program  "/etc/init.d/sshd stop"
   if failed port 22 protocol ssh then alert

The thing is that if I stop the sshd manually, the next cycle it
displays "Does not exist", sends an email to the global address and
after that it starts the daemon.
That means 2 cycles after I stop the sshd, it starts it even if I
haven't specified restart (I have only alert).
Why does it do that?

Also, is there a way that I can monitor daemons on remote hosts and
restart them if needed? If yes, how?

Finally, is there an IRC channel or something except this list to get support?

Thank you